Science Officer – 1 year, Full time
The Royal Belgian Institute for Natural Sciences is seeking a science officer for biodiversity science-policy communication, 1 year (replacement) contract, full time
The Belgian Biodiversity Platform is a science-policy interface providing services to scientists engaged in biodiversity research and policy makers. We are presently seeking to hire a full time science officer to work on communication activities for a 1-year period (replacement employment contract),
She/He will be engaged for implementing the Platform communication strategy, developing related scientific communication tools/activities, and providing support to the Platform science-policy and networking activities such as its communities of practice.
- Assisting in developing and editing Platform outreach and scientific publications including the elaboration of layout and design (policy briefs, meetings reports, press releases, articles, websites...)
- Producing, disseminating and updating the Platform main communication tools and media: 'Biodiversity Newsflashes', news section, Twitter account, etc.
- Supporting the organisation and facilitation of scientific meetings and events
- Elaborating a presentation of the Platform in collaboration with the Platform team to be presented to Belgian scientists in universities and research organisations
- Creating templates and internal procedures to enhance the efficiency of the Platform secretariat and contribute to an effective internal communication
- Advising the Platform team on outreach opportunities, how to improve Platform activities’ visibility and efficiency of its communities of practice
- Creating press relations by updating the existing press file contacts and by elaborating press releases on Platform activities and organising press conferences when relevant
- Maintaining and updating the website contents using the CMS developed by the Platform webmaster
Degree: MSc in science, biology, communication, public relations, or journalism.
- Provable experience in scientific communication
- Knowledge of environmental and biodiversity policy
- Excellent level of written and spoken English; and having one of the three official languages (Dutch, French or German) as mother tongue
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Ability to create and design engaging communication tools
- Computer skills and knowledge of web-based content management systems, mailing systems, databases and social media
- Skills in design softwares (Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign-Photoshop-Illustrator)
- Genuine interest in and enthusiasm for biodiversity research and policy
- Flexibility, ability to adapt quickly to new issues, proactive attitude.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently, take initiative and to exhibit self-motivation
- A short-term contractual position of 1 year (replacement employment contract, starting 1st October) based at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences in Brussels.
- Salary and conditions according to the conditions applicable at the Royal Belgian Institute of Natural Sciences for a contractual agent of class SW1 of the scientific career.
- Free public transport between home and work
Job interview will take place on 23-24th July. Applications should be sent no later than 14th July 2014 to Aline van der Werf: Aline.Vanderwerf@belspo.be (subject: Science communication officer) with a CV, cover letter and any evidence demonstrating the skills and competences we are looking for. For further information on the actual job content, contact Angélique Berhault: +32 (0)2 238 34 98 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Send your profile by email to email@example.com