EUROFLEETS2 will enhance integration through specific actions aimed at consolidating the organization, methodology and tools initiated during EUROFLEETS1 and through operational initiatives towards more integrated, interoperable and cost effective European fleets for the benefit of academic, industrial and operational marine research.
More specifically, the objectives of EUROFLEETS2 can be summarized as follows:
• Promote a larger integration of European RVs. In fact in EUROFLEETS2 a higher participation of RVs is expected: 8 Ocean/Global; 14 regional RVs and 6 mobile equipment pieces not accessible on their usual national support vessel;
• Integrate a common polar vision in the strategic vision of the European marine research fleets;
• Promote exchanges of movable equipment on board European RVs and in doing so fostering high operational interoperability within Europe;
• Further integrate the European RVs by coordinating multi-vessels experiments (super-integration) for larger and ambitious marine research missions;
• Initiate operational initiatives demonstrating the higher interoperability of European fleets;
• Enhance the impact of research infrastructures on innovation by fostering the involvement of industry with specific activities, both as a user and as a supplier of such facilities;
• Make an important step towards a sustainable European Regional RVs Infrastructure and prepare its possible insertion into the ESFRI roadmap.